In this video I go over the basics of getting your first sales on Amazon, building traffic, conversion, and more.
10 codes for 90% off the Hakuna Moscato Wine Glass by Momstir:
There are a few options you have to drive to convert your traffic better using promotional tools. While it’s easier to double your traffic than it is to double your conversion rate, there are times called for that you want to discount. Below are the options available to you.
- Promotions – no cost, but are somewhat hidden and not easy to find. I chose this option because you are driving external traffic and you can simply say, 40% off, just add to cart, no promo code needed. One benefit to this is you can have unique promo codes used for external traffic and track which external source got the sale.
- Price reduction/sale – no cost, but no strikethrough, customer can’t tell it’s on sale. We simply reduce price. This does trigger the camelcamelcamel followers, and conversion goes up with a lower price often. But customers don’t really know it’s lowered as compared to when it was higher.
- Coupon – Costs 80 cents a click. Very visible, clip to get the coupon. Shows in search results and top of product page. There is no tracking with this tool, you just know number of coupons clipped and used.
If the promotions don’t work, I’d suggest coupon next. Coupons I prefer to use if there’s not external traffic being used. With external traffic, you can educate the consumer and avoid the cost of a coupon.
Many entrepreneurs have a legitimate reason to open up multiple Seller Central accounts on Amazon. They might have unique businesses and multiple business owners that don’t share stakes in every venture. As a consultant, we’ve come across this need many times. Below is information that is requested by Amazon to get you this approval.
IMPORTANT – Do not open a 2nd account until you have been approved. You risk suspension that takes 1-3 months to resolve if you don’t get approval first.
Steps to open a 2nd account:
On the Contact Us form, select “Account Settings” and then the “Other account issues” sub-category:
Main information requested by a team that allows multiple Seller Central Amazon accounts:
1. Provide an explanation of the legitimate business need for a second account
2. Have an account in good standing with excellent Customer Metrics
3. Have a separate e-mail address, credit card, and bank account for the new account
4. Not intend to sell the same products in both accounts
Additional information that may be requested:
– When was your business started?
– What are your yearly sales?
– Do you have any retail brick and mortar locations? If so, how many?
– How many employees do you have?
– Does your business have a website? If so what date was it created and can you provide a link?
– Do you sell on any other online selling platforms?
– What are the sources of your inventory? Can you provide an invoice from your primary supplier in support of this?
– What are your anticipated monthly sales on Amazon?
– Have you got adequate inventory levels to meet the demand you foresee for sales on Amazon? Is this stock readily available for dispatch?
Below are some links to helpful information on EBC/A+ Enhanced Content.
In depth guides:
Good Content Examples:
- Add 1000+ words of copy
- Keywords in copy, headlines
- Keywords in alt text of photos (behind scenes)
- Take up space, decrease noise from competitors and other Amazon elements that don’t help your sales
- Organize information in a pyramid with the most unique product information at the top, product grid in middle and category information in middle, and brand story at bottom.
- Recommend using custom templates to build as you have assets available.
- Copy the templates over to other products.
- Increase total keywords ranked for
- Increase keywords rankings to be higher ranked to page 1
- Increase traffic to listing
- *Enhanced content has not made much of an impact to conversion rates for most sellers – and is thus seen as more of a traffic play*
Parentage is complicated. I explain why you need to set it up.
When splitting a parentage, the reviews will split as well, whatever child had the reviews keeps them. If you are combining children into a new parent, reviews will combine together. I predict sometime in 2019 parentages will no longer share reviews and only independent children will host their own reviews.
Rankings are shared in most categories nowadays between children, via BSR rankings. The best ranking child ranking is shared among the others. We do not feel this impacts other children directly for ranking purposes other than additional sale generation to weaker variations. Simply having a better rank does not appear to impact sales however. When splitting children from a parentage, each child would have its own ranking. As for keyword rankings, these are shared when parented, and split when separated as a child as well.
Based on our experience, it’s best to launch a new product as follows. Attach it to a historically performing well listing as a variation, for a short time period of 2-4 weeks. Even if the other variation has bad reviews. Run a viral launch and generate buzz. Break the parentage right after the marketing drive. And let the new listing stand alone if it’s newer/better. The keyword rankings it gains from both of these actions is substantial. Launching new flavors/variations of well performing products is a good idea. Typically if more than one variation is doing really well I often split them out so they gain more search traction for the brand. But if there’s a star variation, and the rest are weaker, I keep them together. The example above is how I try to make a new star variation on a launch.
Contact MyAmazonGuy at www.myamazonguy.com/contact – Advertising Setups for $500.
Portfolios are brand new, not every account has them yet. Check your account in seller central by going to advertising, campaigns, and on the left hand side you can see whether your account is enabled.
These will primarily help you divide your campaigns into sections to know results, cap budgets, and other reporting tools and control at a higher level than campaigns. Previously you could only control keyword bids, campaign budgets. This helps Amazon catch up to many of the Google tools out there.
Amazon help file on portfolios: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/help-page.html?itemID=200663330
Previous advertising videos:
-Advertising framework, segmentation by manual/auto/brand/competitor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4hdo__SRE
-Beta advertising automatic campaign targeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ESzzbjxG8
-Beta product targeting on sponsored ads https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOXomqC-jgc&t=5s
Amazon just launched a new targeting capability for Auto campaigns in seller central. If you need help setting up an advertising campaign, we charge $500 for an ad setup. Contact me at https://myamazonguy.com/contact/
Additional ways to target my ads? Sign me up, it’s a no-brainer to do. It allows us to segment better and control our ad spend and see where better results come from with some additional bidding features. Previously auto campaigns were a black hole, and could only be managed with negative keywords and bidding. We used them historically for keyword discovery.
4 types of Amazon Auto targeting:
– Substitutes: We’ll show your ad to shoppers who view the detail pages of products similar to yours.
– Complements: We’ll show your ad to shoppers who view the detail pages of products similar to yours.
– Loose match: We’ll show your ad to shoppers who use search terms loosely related to your products.
– Close match: We’ll show your ad to shoppers who use search terms closely related to your products.
Sorry to hear about your account suspension. Below are a list of questions to help you identify why the suspension occurred. You will want to email email@example.com to request the suspension be lifted. Because of the nature of suspensions, you need to email Amazon directly from your end with the admin email of the account in question. (The email you used to register for Seller Central)
- Is your IP address used on any other seller central accounts?
- Is your bank account used on any other seller central accounts?
- Is your email address tied to other Amazon accounts?
- Is your cell phone used in the 2 step verification tied to any other Amazon accounts?
If the answer to the above 1-4 is yes, write to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for reinstatement of your account, and state that you are unsure of the reason it was suspended but that it may be because you have logged into another person’s account. State that you do not have multiple accounts.
- Do you sell on any other Amazon accounts?
If yes, request approval from Amazon by emailing email@example.com to sell on multiple accounts and share that each has their own business structures, unique banks, and unique items.
If the answer is no the above, you should write firstname.lastname@example.org and ask why the suspension occurred. Also call Amazon seller support and ask, they may be able to tell you.
It will take 14 days on average to fix the suspension. Email every 2-3 days requesting an update and restating your position. Within the first response from Amazon you will get an automated email that won’t make sense, keep emailing.
MyAmazonGuy charges by the hour and usually can help with suspensions for $500 total cost. However you may find it in your best interest to try the above advice first. If you want to hire us though contact us here: let me know.
Walmart eCommerce is up and coming. From a recent webinar where a Walmart insider answers questions, these were the top questions and answers:
- Do I need to submit items to be a part of campaigns?
- Only for manual campaigns (algo campaigns will pull in items based on attributes)
i. CM’s or CS’s may reach out to you for items
ii. You can also present items to them – just ask for their preference on how to do this
- Who pays for shipping if you qualify for the Walmart free 2 day shipping program?
- This is seller funded
- If you use 3rd party service Deliverr you are eligible for discounts – article on this attached on Resources slide
- Are Marketplace sellers eligible to participate in sponsored Ad’s
- As of right now, no, but it may be an option in the future
- Is Walmart planning to develop a program similar to Fulfilled by Amazon?
- Not at the moment
- How do I submit to affiliates
- This will differ by division, reach out to your CM or CS
- Men’s has a template to fill out, please reach out to me for it if you are interested
- How do I opt in for the Walmart free 2 day shipping program?
- Go to seller center to view your delivery metrics and see if you qualify
- Request access through the shipping settings page on seller center
Amazon is entering the maturity phase of it’s business. They’ve won the eCommerce game, and they’ve won the retail game. They’ve successfully made it faster and cheaper to buy items across the United States than anywhere else. I personally predict that American Made and High Quality Goods will be the next phase of Amazon. In addition to that, you will need to start pushing external traffic into Amazon to even get off the ground.
Examples of new barriers to entry:
- Categories Requiring Approval – Grocery, Topicals, among the hardest.
- Ads within Amazon ecosystem aren’t triggering impressions as of June 2018 without prior sales history. (No one is talking about this)
- Brands much have a trademark to register with Amazon. It takes 6 months to get a trademark.
- All consumables, liquids, topicals, require hazmat approval.
- Batteries require documentation.
- Photos, titles, and other critical attributes are now being towed to a specific bright line. Either produce good customer experience, or Amazon removes them or changes them to whatever they see fit.
So what do you do about all of this? Launch on Amazon now!
In order of priority, here are the things you should do:
- Open a Seller Central account.
- Hire a consultant who can get you launched. Yours truly has scaled an Amazon Agency, and we onboard 3 clients a week. www.MyAmazonGuy.com Steps 3+ are best done by the pros.
- Load products to the account.
- Ship products in.
- Optimize products. Get your titles, photos, bullets, back end SEO all setup.
- Launch Sponsored Ads.
- Launch a storefront. Article and video on that here.
- Launch Headline Ads.
- Build Enhanced Brand Content.
- Get reviews on your products.
- Sign up for early reviewer program.
- Get Feedback Genius to automated review requests.
Every company ever is going to get stuck on one of those steps. Whether it’s the logistics, the merchandising, or the marketing. That’s why you should hire a consultant who can get done in days what your company will try do in months. Let the top executives make the hiring decision of on a consultant, so that they are empowered to cut through the red tape, and growth hack you some results.